Living in 2022 means paying for a ton of memberships and subscription services every month, whether it's streamers like Netflix or meal kits like Hello Fresh — and while they might not always be cheap, they can be very worth it. Which is exactly what Reddit user u/stardripIVs recently asked: "What subscriptions are actually 100% worth it?"
Lots of people chimed in to share the subscriptions and memberships they think are worth every penny. Here are some of the top-voted and best answers:
1. "If you live close to a Costco where you can take advantage of everything they offer (weekly groceries, tires, glasses, etc.), an executive-level membership pays for itself and then some (cash back). Same price as Prime, plus hot dogs."
2. "New York Times Cooking. I thought my wife was a fool for subscribing. There are, like, a gadjillion recipes on it. Turns out, you get what you pay for. I feel like I'm eating at a restaurant every night."
4. "The Shonen Jump app is only $2 a month for their entire backlog of manga, and if that's too much for you, you can always read the newest chapters for free."
5. "Xbox Game Pass"
6. "Renting a mail box at The UPS Store. Don't have to worry about stolen packages. Don't have to reveal my home address for about 90% of my exchanges. Much less mail stacking up on my porch when I am on vacation. FREEDOM!!!"
7. "Kindle Unlimited"
8. "Shudder the horror streaming service is only FIVE BUCKS a month, and they have a lot of really excellent titles!"
9. "If you’re a writer, Speechify. It’s so handy hearing your own work read back to you at different speeds and in different voices and accents. Gives me a feel of how it will be read by others. Definitely try to get it at 50% off though, 'cause it’s a pricey subscription if you aren’t frequently writing."
10. "Audible. It's been a lifesaver, and I have a huge digital library."
11. "For me, Switch Online. I love my console, and Splatoon and Mario Kart."
12. "Disney+ because Star Wars, NGL."
13. "For entertainment, I would say (once it is in full effect) HBO Max. Honestly, their scripted television is the best in the market, they usually get all the new blockbuster movies, and soon with the merge of Discovery, everything in Discovery+. HBO Max also includes TCM, Sesame Street, Crunchy Roll, Cartoon Network, and Adult Swim."
14. "The AMC Stubs pass is a pretty damn good value if you see more than two movies per month. Even just one of the two in IMAX more than pays for itself."
15. "YouTube Premium. I've not seen actual ads in months. It works on all devices it seems, and it gives you background play on mobile, which I use a lot since I'm always streaming some podcast or another when I do errands."
You can read the full thread of responses on Reddit.
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.